Guest blogging isn’t a new idea, but if we’re talking about an effective content marketing plan, guest blogging is a great idea. Last year I completed Jon Morrow’s Guest Blogging Course, and my first submission resulted in a post on Problogger.
If you choose your target blogs well and your posts are of a consistently good quality, guest blogging can be the stepping-stones to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Well, maybe not, but there are definite benefits to guest blogging.
The benefits of guest blogging
Being a guest blogger can help you
- Build connections with other bloggers
- Build your online influence
- Develop your voice as authority in your niche area
- Increase awareness of your brand
- Build your subscriber base
- Create valuable backlinks to your website or blog
- Share your knowledge with a new audience
- Improve your writing skills
Everyone is doing it. So how do you nail it?
Tips on successful guest blogging
- Choose blogs that are related to your industry, but think laterally
- Get to know the community that hangs out on your blog of choice
- Read the blog for a while so you get to know the writing style
- Leave insightful comments so that the blog owner gets to know you
Remember, a guest post is a privilege and it shouldn’t be abused with blog posts that simply promote your products or services. If you want to get the green light, you have to write content that is useful and relevant and a good fit for the blog readers you’re writing for.
The Copy Detective is open to guest bloggers
I’ve recently opened the doors of my bloggy office to guest bloggers. I love to read about a lot of topics, including the following:
- Social media
- Content marketing
- Small business operation
If you’ve been reading this blog for a while, you’ll know that the standard is pretty high. I put care, thought and time into every post, so I wrote these guest post guidelines to help you nail it.
Are you up for it?
The Copy Detective
Subscribe to The Copy Detective to get each new post delivered straight to your inbox. In secret of course.